[Shootout-list] fun vs. serious

Brent Fulgham bfulg@pacbell.net
Thu, 23 Sep 2004 23:56:56 -0700

On 2004-09-22 01:37:16 -0700 Bengt Kleberg
<bengt.kleberg@ericsson.com> wrote:

> Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
> ...deleted
>> No, actually.  To the extent I'm 'doing' anything here, I'm not here
>> have fun.  I'm here to evaluate and promote better languages at the
>> expense of inferior ones.  Why?  Because I'd like mainstream
>> industry to
>> use less 'crap' on a daily basis.  I'd like to get paid lots of
>> money to
>> use languages that aren't 'crap'.  If I thought the Shootout was
>> only a
>> hobbyist funzie toy, I'd ignore it.  I see it as more about the
>> validity
>> of open source business models, commercial vs. open source compiler
>> comparos, etc.

You are singing to the choir, man.  I think every one of us feels the
same way.

>> Shootout at this point?  I feel like I'm hearing a lot of ideas for
>> new
>> tests / new features, when the old stuff isn't even in particularly
>> good
>> shape yet.  How's that C# benchmark doing lately?

This is not a Shootout issue.  It is a Mono runtime bug that will be
fixed in the
next release.  Don't blame us for that one -- the Mono tests are in
the archive
and are ready to go, just as soon as the interpreter produces something
besides garbage measurements.

> having said that i still think it would be rather booring to have to
> persuade
> the comitters that the hash test has to be removed, before beeing
> allowed to
> design a new test.

... it's on the list...

-Brent