[Shootout-list] main benchmark

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery@indiegamedesign.com
Sun, 26 Sep 2004 10:13:09 -0700

Isaac Gouy wrote:
> Brandon Van Every wrote:
> >
> > Yes, but as I said before, the *MAIN BENCHMARK*
>
> What is the *MAIN BENCHMARK* ?

Something I say we need to define.  I do not believe in all this
"hackers having fun rolling their own benchmark" stuff.  I want to
persuade PHBs, and that means standards.  The *MAIN BENCHMARK* should be
language neutral.  It can't, for instance, flunk some language just
because it doesn't have garbage collection or thread concurrency in it.

Industry benchmarks aren't driven by "roll your own."  They're driven by
standards.  See http://www.spec.org for a point of comparison.  I'd like
to see the Shootout become "more like that."

Cheers,                         www.indiegamedesign.com

"We live in a world of very bright people building
crappy software with total shit for tools and process."
                                - Ed McKenzie