[Shootout-list] what do we test?

Bengt Kleberg bengt.kleberg@ericsson.com
Mon, 27 Sep 2004 16:10:27 +0200

greetings,

Isaac Gouy started to look at what our tests do. inspired by this i have
made an attempt to qualify the tests as to what they try to measure. i
use a simpleminded prefix nameing system to categorise them somewhat.
since i did not read all the code, just the ''about this test'' i have
made many errors. any suggestions to improve this table are encuraged.
(an alternative would be to improve the tests to better fit the table :-)

there is a special category, real-work, that can have millions of test
entries since it is not a low level bench mark. imho.
i am unhappy with putting sieve here, since it is rather stricly defined
how one is allowed to do sieve. but then we have some rather different
entries anyway, so i thought way not. i am lazy.

it looks like we have a rather fairly distributed amount of tests. most
low level things gets only one test each. also, the prefix way of
writing this table suggest that some tests are missing.
file/network-block-io should be there, but is not.
string-access (ie str(r)char() etc) is also obviously missing.

Real-work:	reverse sieve spell wc wordfreq
array-access:	ary
exception-handling:	except
file-line-io:	sumcol
function-calls:	ackerman fibo