[Shootout-list] Weekly Update

Brent Fulgham bfulg@pacbell.net
Mon, 27 Sep 2004 14:10:09 -0700 (PDT)

--- Isaac Gouy <igouy2@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Should we at least include languages that have
> > add-on libraries for OO support available?
>
> You've touched on a more general question language
> vs library.  For example, is it reasonable to
> include Java Pico Threads in concurrency tests?

It's important to get an apples-to-apples comparison.
So on the surface, we should probably limit things to
just what comes with the language.

However, I am of the mind that we should test these
languages as they are actually used.  That's why I
used the NumPy package for the Python Matrix test,
because I can't think of any Python users who would
not immediately turn to NumPy for that kind of work.

It gets fuzzier with respect to object oriented
add-ons for non-OO languages.  Should we use the
fastest example?  The most featureful?  The most
cross-platform compatible version?

In general, I think we should stick to the "what comes
standard" rule, unless there is a commonly-used
external add-on that the user base would more
frequently use.

Any thoughts?

-Brent