Fwd: RE: [Shootout-list] commercial benchmarks

Brent Fulgham bfulg@pacbell.net
Mon, 27 Sep 2004 14:42:47 -0700 (PDT)

--0-1333946892-1096321367=:37659

Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 14:31:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brent Fulgham <bfulg@pacbell.net>
Subject: RE: [Shootout-list] commercial benchmarks
To: shootout@lists.alioth.debian.org

--- "Brandon J. Van Every" wrote:

> This is just your cultural choice.  You choose to
> have 'hacker volunteer' culture.  I have 'be
> relevant to PHBs' culture.  That means setting
> things like publishing dates, language inclusion
> policies, benchmarking standards, seeking industrial
> partnerships, etc.  All of these things can be done
> on a volunteer basis, you're just not volunteering
> to do any of 'em.  Probably sounds too much like
> real work for you.  To me, all open source
> development is real work.  I don't do
> it for fun, I do it to advance whatever business
> agenda I think I'm currently pursuing.

I have no objection to creating language inclusion
policies or benchmarking standards.  We can probably
even provide reasonable publishing dates, or at
least cut testing of on a date certain and present
a snapshot of the results.

I'm less sure what benefits we would derive by
affiliating with a business entity.  I have no problem
exploring this, assuming we understand what is being
proposed.

> > and trying to extract licenses to allow me to run
> > tests. Microsoft's C# license actually prohibits
> > someone like me from running benchmarks on their
> > software.
>
> I have trouble believing that.  Please provide
> evidence for your claim.

>From the .NET SDK EULA:

"4 Benchmark Testing. You may not disclose the results
of any benchmark test of the .NET Framework component
of the Software to any third party without Microsoft’s
prior written approval. "

QED

> > I'm not exactly sure which of these items (or
> > perhaps some other items you have identified that
> > I didn't cover) you are proposing to address (if
> > any).
>
> I can't address your core culture.  I can only ask
> if anyone else on the list shares my culture.  If
> it's just me, I'll go find another way to pursue my
> goals.

My question was not whether you would address our
"core culture".  I was asking what you proposed to
contribute.

-Brent

--0-1333946892-1096321367=:37659--