[Shootout-list] obtaining software licenses and hardware

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery@indiegamedesign.com
Mon, 27 Sep 2004 19:21:40 -0700

Brent Fulgham wrote:

> I have two small additional requirements:
>
> 1.  I must be able to get a free license for the
> software (to run the tests).

'You' getting a free license is not the same thing as 'anyone' getting a
free license.  For instance, when Tom's Hardware Guide tests
motherboards, those boards are often (always?) given to them gratis by
hardware vendors for testing.  People in general don't get free
motherboards, however.  I understand that right now, you don't have the
commercial relationships necessary to obtain such materials.  But, it is
possible to build towards that circumstance.

> 2.  I must have sufficient disk space to install the
> software.

On http://www.pricegrabber.com I'm seeing 80GB drives for $60 US.  Are
you in some country where hard drives are much more expensive than that,
or are you exceedingly impoverished?  I stood in line at a food bank
this morning, so I doubt you're more impoverished than I am.  Thankfully
I've got a new job that should get me $20/hour instead of the $8/hour I
was making before.  I won't be sweating $60 hard drives pretty soon
here.  If you're sweating the price tag, I'm sure we could all work
something out, but please don't just be gratuitously cheap.  Hard to
take that sort of thing seriously.  Like... what's your time worth and
how many man hours were you planning to spend on the Shootout anyways?

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

"The pioneer is the one with the arrows in his back."
                          - anonymous entrepreneur