[Shootout-list] website sketch

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery@indiegamedesign.com
Tue, 28 Sep 2004 00:55:29 -0700

Isaac Gouy wrote:
> Brandon Van Every wrote:
> > >
> > > Do you have something more substantial than a comment on
eye-candy?

> > Are you the kind of techie that thinks eye candy doesn't
> > matter, i.e.
> > isn't 'substantial' for moving and swaying people?  If so, I would
> > submit that you are in error about who dominates the world of
> > software.
> > It ain't the open source guys with ugly websites.
>
> Is that a no?

Isaac, you have now several times tried to pump me for more information,
meanwhile contributing absolutely nothing to the discussion yourself.
Each time I've started to write a rather nasty reply, restrained myself,
then tried to offer a few more constructive crumbs of artistic or
marketing commentary.  You seem to be bent on wilfully ignoring them, as
a matter of debating device, or possibly even bruised ego.

This post is no different, just more pointed.

As of right now, my opinion is you probably don't know anything about
graphic design at all, and shouldn't be in charge of such matters.  Is
there something specific and concrete that *you* would like to discuss?
I've been through "how to improve a website, how to come up with a good
logo" efforts before.  You're not offering anything I recognize from
such processes.

I would suggest before you again ask, "Well, uuh, so, like, why is it
boring?" that you instead try the Devil's Advocate role.  Tell us
yourself 1 reason why it might be boring.  Just 1.

Bengt spoke correctly the first time.  "It is boring."  That verdict
wouldn't merit any discussion among web designers, apologies and techie
egos be damned.

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

"The pioneer is the one with the arrows in his back."
                          - anonymous entrepreneur