[Shootout-list] Least Common Denominator benchmark

Bengt Kleberg bengt.kleberg@ericsson.com
Tue, 28 Sep 2004 12:39:06 +0200

Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
...deleted
> Plausible.  One wrinkle: the family of languages known as BASIC.  You'd
> need to choose a different word.

i must admit not having programmed basic since the early 80'is. the
experience was such that i do my very best to not remember the language
in question. how about
common benchmark
then?

...deleted

> Why should they, if some HLL actually matches or *beats* C/C++
> performance?  The only reasons people stick with C++ are (1) performance
> (2) legacy issues.

the reasons i have heard for sticking with c(++) can all be traced back
to your (2).
it is much easier to find programmers that know it.
it is the most used language.
we have experience with it.

not once have i heard that performance was a reason to use it.

bengt