[Shootout-list] Re: Optimizing for speed vs. beauty

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery@indiegamedesign.com
Thu, 30 Sep 2004 03:15:06 -0700

Bengt Kleberg wrote:

> you made it sound as if you did something extra, special. i tried to
> guess what it was. the last thing i would expect was that you wrote
> normal assembler.

The point was actually about how pre-ASM C code gets written.  You could
write the C code shorter if you weren't interested in having it be
equivalent to 1 ASM instruction per line.  Also I did not mention the
whitespace lines inserted into the ASM code for RISC instruction
alignment purposes, nor the NOOPs.

> ...deleted
> >>as for what we compare too, that is other computer
> >>languages, solving the same problem.
> >

> > And *they* determined a lower bound of problem decomposition how,
> > exactly?  You could do it for trivial problems, i.e. 'this
> loop'.  Not
> > for any complex program.  Too much tied into semantic choices.
>
> if the programs does the same thing i fail to see why we
> would have to
> look at the semantic choices. we might have to, i just fail
> to see why.

Again, where did you get a lower bound from?  You said you can compare.
You didn't say you can get a lower bound.

Cheers,                         www.indiegamedesign.com

20% of the world is real.