[Shootout-list] Re: Optimizing for speed vs. beauty

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery@indiegamedesign.com
Thu, 30 Sep 2004 05:15:45 -0700

John Goerzen wrote:

> No, the idea is not to cause debate, but to show people
> options and let them decide for themselves.
>
> The Perl folks can make great use of $_ and other implicit
> tricks.  The
> Haskell folks can make use of lazy I/O.  The Python people can use
> objects.  The Java people are SOL :-)

Um, people do this in the current Shootout as is.  All you can offer is
5 examples per language instead of 1, and I don't see why.  I still
think PLEAC is probably the better uber-tutorial.

I had this huge post I wrote up, about all the other stuff.  'Honest'
benchmarks, UNIX vs. Windows culture clashes, etc.  I snipped all of it.
The above is the only operative thing worth commenting on.  If you
really want to debate honesty, subscribe to ocaml-biz and reply to what
I've written already.

Cheers,                         www.indiegamedesign.com

20% of the world is real.