[Shootout-list] X per second scoring system

Bengt Kleberg bengt.kleberg@ericsson.com
Thu, 30 Sep 2004 14:34:06 +0200

Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
...deleted
> Do you need to see a nuclear mushroom cloud up front and personal?  Or
> are you willing to go by the few old H-bomb movies you might have seen?

unless there is some sort of hidden significance to this statement i
will happily ignore it as not very relevant. please correct me if i am
wrong.

...deelted

>>so if i say that the test could be run for 1, 2 or something else
>>seconds, it is the human sense of time that stops us from
>>having a value of 30 (or up to 60) instead of 1 or 2?
>>
>>this is surprising. i would not have expected that.
>

> "...and how we end up designing OSes and machines in practice..."

unless there is some sort of hidden significance to this statement i
will happily ignore it as not very relevant. please correct me if i am
wrong.

>>how should i formulate my willingness to let the test take 1, 2 or
>>something else seconds, so that it is possible for those with a human
>>sense of time to understand that i am willing to use other number of
>>seconds than 1 or 2? say 30 (up to 60) seconds?
>

> Start measuring OS slicing spikes.

so, i will now reformulate my previous attempt at stateing how many
seconds we need for a good measurement:

Start measuring OS slicing spikes.

this statement does look odd to me, and i fail to grasp why it will let
people with a human sense of time understand that i am willing to use 30
seconds. but i bow to your expertise.

...deleted
> You misunderstand.  I looked, I did not see.  I am not confident we're
> talking about the same kind of graph at all.  Show me exactly what
> you're talking about on the Shootout.

for each test there is a ''Click here for more detailed data and graphs.''

have you not seen it?

bengt