[Shootout-list] Keeping slower benchmarks

James McIlree ovrskeek@mac.com
Sun, 17 Apr 2005 14:57:00 -0700

Isaac,

	Per your request, I am bringing this to the mailing
list.

	A quick recap summary for the list. The threads-flow
benchmark has multiple java implementations. I believe
older, slower implementations should be removed, Isaac
appears to disagree.

	[ Somewhat out of context Isaac quote ]

> This isn't a bug - it's a statement of opinion - something that
> is better sent to the mailing list where you can try to justify
> why anyone should care.

	I present the following arguments:

1: The GCLSB FAQ states under "How can I help with the chores?"

> 	And we need them to
> 	1.  	remove slower less-elegant programs from CVS

2: The GCLSB Committer FAQ has a bold heading entitled "Remove slower
programs".
Under it, it states:

> Once we can see that there's a faster program, we normally remove the
> slower programs from CVS and then update the corresponding Contribute
> Programs items from Closed to Deleted.

3: Like it or not, the GCLSB site is used as an advocacy tool.
It smacks of impartiality to keep older and slower versions of
submitted benchmarks in some languages, but not others.

4: I will volunteer to do the work if no one else has time for it.

	James M