[Shootout-list] Keeping slower benchmarks

Jacob Lee artdent@freeshell.org
Mon, 18 Apr 2005 00:22:46 -0500

On Sun, 2005-04-17 at 17:56 -0700, Isaac Gouy wrote:
> So people looking at the website aren't going to have a problem when
> they see multiple java implementations?
>
> What problem do you have when you see multiple java implementations
> (apart from the concern with "rules")?

The disadvantage to having multiple implementations is in hurting the
language in the overall rankings. I grant that the overall rankings are
not meant to be very significant; that being said, the fastest
implementation should be the one that goes into the overall ranking. If
the first implementation is subpar or gives an error, a newer version
should replace that instead of being labeled as implementation #2 or #3.

This doesn't apply to the "interesting alternative implementation" case,
of course; it would not be fair to include a non-standard algorithm that
goes against the rules of a particular benchmark.

And thank you for calling for cool heads and an avoidance of personal
attacks. I'll second that.

--
Jacob Lee
artdent@freeshell.org | www.nearestneighbor.net