[Shootout-list] Threads and Threads-Flow Proposal

Isaac Gouy igouy2@yahoo.com
Wed, 20 Apr 2005 07:25:05 -0700 (PDT)

--- Kevin Carson <kevincarson@shaw.ca> wrote:
> I was trying to suggest an improvement for the benchmark's structure
> for all languages.
>
> Whatever.

No! Not "whatever"!

You've suggested an "improvement" to threads-flow - basically cut the
#threads 10x and increase the #messages 10x - the benefit is that the
benchmark would do more message work and be less restricted by
inability to create the required #threads.

*Someone* needs to compare the relative performance between languages
at 3000 threads and 300 threads and 30 threads - if the relative
performance doesn't change then the "improvement" is neutral. If the
relative performance changes then we need to understand why, so we can
decide if it's 3000 or 300 or 30 that really do what we need.

Meanwhile browse the Bugs tracker and maybe you'll get a different
perspective on what we should be working on.