[Shootout-list] Threads and Threads-Flow Proposal

Bengt Kleberg bengt.kleberg@ericsson.com
Fri, 22 Apr 2005 12:42:57 +0200

Isaac Gouy wrote:
...deleted
> *Someone* needs to compare the relative performance between languages
> at 3000 threads and 300 threads and 30 threads - if the relative
> performance doesn't change then the "improvement" is neutral. If the
> relative performance changes then we need to understand why, so we can
> decide if it's 3000 or 300 or 30 that really do what we need.

are you saying that you know that the current value is ''the right
one'', that gives the correct relative performance?
and that it is therefore up to the person that suggests a change to
prove that a change is not harmful?

for my now removed precursors to these tests (ie, they tested the same
mechanisms (threads and message passing), but in another way) i worked
on this problem. my solution was to measure at different numbers of
threads. unfortunatly this was impossible, given the shootouts very
narrow focus.

sometimes it seems to me as if the very narrow focus creates problems,
instead of solving them.

bengt