[Shootout-list] Stuff

Isaac Gouy igouy2@yahoo.com
Fri, 22 Apr 2005 09:21:35 -0700 (PDT)

--- Jon Harrop <jon@ffconsultancy.com> wrote:
> On Friday 22 April 2005 04:10, Isaac Gouy wrote:
> > > These kinds of things are so difficult to implement in most other
> > > languages that programs are either at worst intractable (Fortran)
> > > or at best error-prone (C++).
> >
> > Doesn't that make "these kinds of things" an unlikely choice for
> > any vaguely apples-to-apples performance comparison?
>
> If you go down that route, you'll end up with assembler programs
> written in all languages. I don't think anyone wants that.

While we're speculating, does anyone want implementations using
different algorithms with different running times?

Some folk don't -
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.functional/msg/ddb2894d9e3d8024?hl=en

-snip-
> So if you want to avoid bias then I'd say why is there an nbody
> program which is clearly geared up for Fortran

You assume too much - the nbody program was worked through in Java
without a thought to Fortran.

>(it even requires Fortran-style implementation, IIRC)

Really - in what way?

-snip-
> Oh, I had another idea. What about a program to solve x^3 - x - 1
> using Newton Raphson?

What work does it do that isn't already covered by other benchmarks?