[Shootout-list] Stuff

Bengt Kleberg bengt.kleberg@ericsson.com
Tue, 26 Apr 2005 10:27:38 +0200

Isaac Gouy wrote:
...deleted

>>Knowing which languages cannot be used to solve practically important
>>sets of problems is very valuable information. I don't see any
>
> benefit
>
>>in removing this information from the shootout.

...deleted

> Is it possible that your "practically important sets of problems" are
> much less "practically important" to programmers working in other
> domains?

different people have different "practically important sets of problems".
the interesting question is who gets to decided which sets should be in
the shootout, and which should be removed?

...deleted
> (The obvious problem benchmark is pidigits because it requires
> arbitrary precision arithmetic.)

would it not be possible to do arbitrary precision arithmetic in
languages that does not have it built-in, by coding it oneself?

bengt