[Shootout-list] Stuff

Brian Hurt bhurt@spnz.org
Sat, 23 Apr 2005 09:48:55 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005, Jon Harrop wrote:

> The main missing languages are C, Fortran and Pascal because I don't
> think the necessary data structures will be easy enough to implement in
> those languages, but I may be wrong. Other data structures can be
> substituted but are likely to be slower.

Fortran and Pascal I wouldn't miss- but C is still a widely used
applications language.  It's also the "lingua franca" of programming
languages- a number of libraries (GTK, OpenGL, LibJpeg, etc.) are written
in it simply because that way the libraries can be shared by everyone.

> Also, I'd be happy to see OCaml use the Set module
> and C++ use the STL set<> to implement sets, even though these are quite
> different.

I'd argue that they should- as those are the natural way for programmers
in those languages to use sets.  When the programmer thinks "gee, I need a
set", the Ocaml programmer reaches for the Set standard library, and the
C++ programmer reaches for the set STL implementation.

Brian