[Shootout-list] Stuff

Jon Harrop jon@ffconsultancy.com
Sat, 23 Apr 2005 18:42:18 +0100

On Saturday 23 April 2005 16:51, Robert Seeger wrote:
> However, I completely disagree with your thought
> that those are the ONLY languages that should be used in the Shootout.

It seems my wording was also poor. I was trying to say that I can provide
implementations only in the languages that I know. However, I would love to
see my tasks implemented in as many languages as possible but I won't be able
to do this by myself - I'll need help.

I certainly don't think any languages should be removed from the shootout.

> I think every language that has at least a minimum number of
> submissions should show up.

Yes, I agree entirely.

> Personally, I can't imagine having D, but not C... And I would have
> considerably less interest in the Shootout if Tcl wasn't involved,
> since it's my primary language at the moment.

Absolutely. I don't want to see any languages removed, I just don't know how
to implement my tasks in many languages. I'm sure it can be done by someone
better versed in those languages though. In the worst case, my proposed tests
won't be available in all of the languages.

I know C, of course, and thought that it would be very difficult to implement
some of my problems efficiently in a small amount of C. However, I notice the
C implementation of spellcheck is 178 LOC and uses an external
"simple_hash.h". If I'm allowed to use it as well then I can do this myself.

Incidentally, where can I download "simple_hash.h"?

Objective CAML for Scientists