[Shootout-list] Stuff (wide range of languages)

Brent Fulgham bfulg@pacbell.net
Tue, 26 Apr 2005 12:07:09 -0700 (PDT)

--- Bengt Kleberg <bengt.kleberg@ericsson.com> wrote:
> currently the faq says ''Provide implementations in
> an interpreted language, a JIT language, and a
> compiled language'' which is 3 languages. i am
> assuming it is cheating to use a single language
> that can be used in all 3 ways, although this is not
> made explicit.

Good point.  I think we are trying to provide two
rules in a single sentence, so perhaps we need to
specify two statements:

Provide implementations in:
1)  An interpreted langauge, a JIT language, and
    a compiled language.  This shows the range of
    performance we can expect (and helps to avoid
    setting too low a value of 'N' for compiled
    languages, or too high a value for interpreted
    languages.
2)  An Algol-variant (such as Pascal, Java, or C++),
    a lisp-variant (such as Scheme or Common Lisp),
    and an ML-variant (such as Objective CAML or
    SML).

We should decide where things like Python, Ruby, and
Tcl fit in clause (2).  The goal is to show a range
of languages, but I don't want to get too pedantic
with this.

-Brent