[Shootout-list] Stuff (wide range of languages)

Bengt Kleberg bengt.kleberg@ericsson.com
Wed, 27 Apr 2005 08:03:04 +0200

Brent Fulgham wrote:
...deleted
> Provide implementations in:
> 1)  An interpreted langauge, a JIT language, and
>     a compiled language.  This shows the range of
>     performance we can expect (and helps to avoid
>     setting too low a value of 'N' for compiled
>     languages, or too high a value for interpreted
>     languages.

i think this particular problem is a self inflicted one.
give the shootout the abilty to handle more than a single (or 3 very
close) 'n', and the problem goes away.

> 2)  An Algol-variant (such as Pascal, Java, or C++),
>     a lisp-variant (such as Scheme or Common Lisp),
>     and an ML-variant (such as Objective CAML or
>     SML).
>
> We should decide where things like Python, Ruby, and
> Tcl fit in clause (2).  The goal is to show a range
> of languages, but I don't want to get too pedantic

if they are sufficiently unique they can get their own family.
oo is another potential family (presumably for those languages that are
oo all the way).

bengt