[Shootout-list] Stuff (same way, same thing)

Bengt Kleberg bengt.kleberg@ericsson.com
Wed, 27 Apr 2005 07:48:11 +0200

Isaac Gouy wrote:
> --- Brent Fulgham <bfulg@pacbell.net> wrote:

...deleted
> We've seen this before, it turns into an arms race - language X looks
> better as long as there are some obsessive folk who keep churning out
> different algorithms until the rest stop and get on with their life.

new algorithms are a good thing. see below.

...deleted

> The competition is just-as-fierce when the language communities line-up
> on the same algorithm.

do you mean that people
1 feel as strongly about the competition when restricted to the same
algorithm?
or
2 that they try as many solutions with the same algorithm?

i agree about 1, but not 2.

>>Let's not be so focused on perfection that we lose
>>the point of the shootout.
>

> iirc The point being to provide Java and C programmers with evidence
> that good languages really do exist ;-)

faq entry: To learn and to have fun.

> imo Providing the instant excuse that the comparisons are invalid
> because different algorithms are used doesn't help make the point.

why would this be a good excuse? the language with the slower algorithm
can just change to the faster algorithm.

bengt