[Shootout-list] Ray tracer

Isaac Gouy igouy2@yahoo.com
Fri, 29 Apr 2005 12:41:17 -0700 (PDT)

--- Robert Seeger <rhseeger@gmail.com> wrote:
> See inline comments below:
>
>  > I like CRAPS but whenever I use it I have to go through all of the
> > > weights and set half of them to zero because the benchmarks are
> > > irrelevant for me. If I could just select from about 5 categories
> > this
> > > would save quite a bit of time.
> >
> > What you're asking for isn't categories, it's personalization -
> you'd
> > like the shootout webpages not to forget how you set-up the
> weights.
>

> No, we're asking for categories. Though someone mentioned that it
> would be
> nice for the page to remember how you had it setup last time you were
> that,
> that's not what was asked for. What was asked for was a way to easily
> select
> the type(s) of tests one is interested in, and view the results for
> those
> tests.

Jon's comment really is about personalization - let's not mix things
up.

> On 4/29/05, Isaac Gouy <igouy2@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >

> > --- Robert Seeger <rhseeger@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > It's not so much "solving a problem" as it is "making the
> collection
> > > of tests more useful". If you look through some of the past
> > > discussions, you'll see it mentioned that having a wide variety
> of
> > > tests is a good thing.
> >
> > Someone might have asserted it was a good thing - I don't recall
> seeing
> > anything to back up the opinion.
>

> If you're refering to the idea of categories... that's what weren't
> discussing here. If you're refering to the idea of lots of tests
> being good,
> thats been mentioned in a number of places, both by myself and by
> others.

Again, the idea of lots of tests being good may have been mentioned,
that doesn't help understand when it might be good and when it might
not be good.

> (And we're begging the question "making the collection of tests more
> > useful" for what purpose?)
>
> I would find it more convenient and useful to be able to look at only
> certain groupings of tests at one time, easily and conveniently.

Why? What do you think the benefit is?

> I believe that others, both in this community and out, would also
find
> that functionality handy. That is how I am defining "useful" in this
> circumstance.

Nice-to-have?

> ... I don't see how adding groups would subtract from the current
> usability of the tests. In general, I see only a positive impact on
> the "user experience".

Compromise is everything in "user experience" design - when we only see
a positive impact the simplest explanation is that we've missed
something.