[Shootout-list] Ray tracer

Robert Seeger Robert Seeger <rhseeger@gmail.com>
Fri, 29 Apr 2005 16:27:00 -0400

------=_Part_1181_32748357.1114806420858

See inline for comments.

On 4/29/05, Isaac Gouy <igouy2@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Jon's comment really is about personalization - let's not mix things
> up.

The original idea of catagories, in this thread, was brought up by skaller,=
=20
not Jon. Your reply was to Jon's comment which, as you said, was oriented=
=20
more in the direction of personalization. My response to it should not have=
=20
been "No, we're asking...", but rather "He may have been, but the original=
=20
discussion was asking...". My apologies.

On 4/29/05, Isaac Gouy <igouy2@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > (And we're begging the question "making the collection of tests more
> > > useful" for what purpose?)
> >
> > I would find it more convenient and useful to be able to look at only
> > certain groupings of tests at one time, easily and conveniently.
>=20
> Why? What do you think the benefit is?

What is it you believe the Shootout is good for at all? I feel it's good fo=
r=20
comparing various languages. Allowing me to make the comparison happen usin=
g=20
the types of things that I care about is a benefit to me. The current setup=
=20
allows that, but adding categories of tests would make doing so considerabl=
y=20
easier for me. That is how I feel it would provide benefit to me. I am unde=
r=20
the impression that others feel it would provide a similar benefit to them.=
=20
Extending this logic, I find it likely that a reasonable percentage of thos=
e=20
that have not commented (and those outside the mailing list, including only=
=20
occassional visitors to the Shootout page), would find a similar benefit.

> I believe that others, both in this community and out, would also
> find
> > that functionality handy. That is how I am defining "useful" in this
> > circumstance.
>=20
> Nice-to-have?

Also faster and more convenient to view the results that I am interested in=
.

Compromise is everything in "user experience" design - when we only see
> a positive impact the simplest explanation is that we've missed
> something.

Given the right page design, the negative impacts (to the user experience)=
=20
that I see are:

   - A very small increase in the download time of the page, as the=20
   overall size of the page source grows.=20
   - An increase in the complexity (clutter) on the page.=20

The first negative is, in my opinion, negligable.

The second, with a good page design, would likely also be negligable.

The benefits to me (and, by extension, likely to others) would far outweigh=
t=20
the negatives.

Robert Seeger

------=_Part_1181_32748357.1114806420858

, <b class=3D"gmail_sendername">Isaac Gouy</b> &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:igouy2=
204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">Jon's comment rea=
lly is about personalization - let's not mix things<br>up.</blockquote><div=

The original idea of catagories, in this thread, was brought up by
skaller, not Jon. Your reply was to Jon's comment which, as you said,
was oriented more in the direction of personalization. My response to
it should not have been &quot;No, we're asking...&quot;, but rather &quot;H=
e may have
been, but the original discussion was asking...&quot;. My apologies.<br>
&nbsp;</div><br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"border-left: 1px=
 solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">O=
n 4/29/05, Isaac Gouy &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:igouy2@yahoo.com">igouy2@yahoo.=
com</a>
&gt; wrote:<br>&gt; (And we're begging the question &quot;making the collec=
&gt; I would find it more convenient and useful to be able to look at only
What is it you believe the Shootout is good for at all? I feel it's
good for comparing various languages. Allowing me to make the
comparison happen using the types of things that I care about is a
benefit to me. The current setup allows that, but adding categories of
tests would make doing so considerably easier for me. That is how I
feel it would provide benefit to me. I am under the impression that
others feel it would provide a similar benefit to them. Extending this
logic, I find it likely that a reasonable percentage of those that have
not commented (and those outside the mailing list, including only
occassional visitors to the Shootout page), would find a similar
benefit.<br>
 rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">&gt; I =
believe that others, both in this community and out, would also<br>find<br>
&gt; that functionality handy. That is how I am defining &quot;useful&quot;=
Also faster and more convenient to view the results that I am interested in=
.<br>
204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">Compromise is eve=
rything in &quot;user experience&quot; design - when we only see<br>
a positive impact the simplest explanation is that we've missed<br>somethin=
&nbsp;Given the right page design, the negative impacts (to the user experi=
ence) that I see are:<br>
<ul>
  <li>A very small increase in the download time of the page, as the overal=
l size of the page source grows.</li>
  <li>An increase in the complexity (clutter) on the page. </li>
</ul>
The first negative is, in my opinion, negligable.<br>
The second, with a good page design, would likely also be negligable.<br>
The benefits to me (and, by extension, likely to others) would far outweigh=
t the negatives.<br>
------=_Part_1181_32748357.1114806420858--