[Shootout-list] What people say about shootout

Isaac Gouy igouy2@yahoo.com
Fri, 29 Apr 2005 13:00:58 -0700 (PDT)

--- Sebastien Loisel <sloisel@gmail.com> wrote:
> > (...) why are all of
> > the floating point benchmarks I see out there (not just the
> Shootout) double
> > precision when in reality single precision (...)
>
> The problem I faced in implicitode is that a large fraction of
> languages don't even have a single precision data type (e.g.,
> python.)

(Lua also, actually you choose to build Lua for either double or int.)

Please correct me where I'm wrong, it seems that
- single precision is faster than double precision
- some languages only provide double precision
- we might code the same algorithm using doubles and get the same
result
- the practical consequence is that Python would be slower than
languages that provide distinct single precision data type