[Shootout-list] What people say about shootout

Dave davejf@frontiernet.net
Fri, 29 Apr 2005 15:15:52 -0500

All I can add is that single precision /can/ be faster when you are moving a
lot of data around, but in some cases it won't matter because the important
optimizations are done in 80 bit FP registers anyhow (I'm talking x86
hardware here).

What a single precision test might be good for is pointing out:

1) Issues for implementations that support both SP and DP (where SP actually
runs slower because of alignment issues, for example).

2) Issues where the language doesn't support 32 bit floats. Even if it isn't
obvious from the test, those implementations may run quite a bit slower (for
applications moving a lot of floating point data around where single
precision is good enough precision), which would be good to know. Or, they
could run just as fast which would be even better to know.

- Dave