[Shootout-list] Ray tracer

skaller skaller@users.sourceforge.net
30 Apr 2005 18:48:50 +1000

On Sat, 2005-04-30 at 05:41, Isaac Gouy wrote:

> Compromise is everything in "user experience" design - when we only see
> a positive impact the simplest explanation is that we've missed
> something.

Reasonable. SO what are the negatives? I can list some,
perhaps you can think of others:

(1) Work implementing it
(2) Arguments deciding on categories
(3) More complexity of the UI

I can certainly say that in my experience a simple idea
often turns out to be much harder to implement than
one thinks initially -- categories *look* easy to implement,
but it could well be difficult .. perhaps someone can look
at the code (Isaac?) and have a guess at how much work
is involved?

I personally like the idea of being able to select
BOTH tests and languages with sets as follows:

(a) A 'select/don't select' check box for each test/language
which the user can toggle.

(b) A drop down box of pre-configured sets.

Not sure how (a) and (b) interact, but the brain dead
way is that changing (b) sets the check boxes, and then
the client can modify them (a).

This idea is related to but distinct from categories:
categorisation would reduce CRAPS to a weighting
the results from each category to get a total,
and weighting the tests within each category,
to get a category subtotal. (i.e. each test
would have an individual and categorical weight,
which are multiplied together).

The 'sets' idea only allows two categories: selected
and non-selected.

voice: 061-2-9660-0850,
snail: PO BOX 401 Glebe NSW 2037 Australia