[Shootout-list] request to put MLton on "The Usual" page

Brent Fulgham bfulg@pacbell.net
Tue, 7 Jun 2005 15:20:12 -0700 (PDT)

--- Stephen Weeks <sweeks@sweeks.com> wrote:

> I would like to see MLton made the representative of
> SML on the shootout main page ("The Usual") instead
> of SML/NJ. MLton implements more benchmarks than
> SML/NJ and is faster than SML/NJ on most benchmarks

I agree that MLton is one of the best performers on
the shootout and would be happy to make it more
widely visible (notice that we have it as the language
of the month!)

However, isn't SML/NJ the 'standard' that other SML's
try to comply with?  Do you think people would expect
to see SML/NJ as 'the' SML implementation in a short
list of representative languages?

Let's set aside the number of solutions for the
moment.  If SML/NJ and MLton had the same number
of solutions on the site, would you still think
MLton would be more representative of SML than SML/NJ?

Do other people think we should use 'The Usual' to
show
the best performers for all languages, or would it
be better to show the 'best known' implementations
for various languages?

I'm sort of leaning towards the former (which would
mean moving MLton to 'The Usual' instead of SML/NJ).

Are there any contrary views?

-Brent