[Shootout-list] request to put MLton on "The Usual" page

Jon Harrop jon@ffconsultancy.com
Wed, 8 Jun 2005 00:39:16 +0100

On Tuesday 07 June 2005 23:20, Brent Fulgham wrote:
> --- Stephen Weeks <sweeks@sweeks.com> wrote:
> > I would like to see MLton made the representative of
> > SML on the shootout main page ("The Usual") instead
> > of SML/NJ. MLton implements more benchmarks than
> > SML/NJ and is faster than SML/NJ on most benchmarks
>
> I agree that MLton is one of the best performers on
> the shootout and would be happy to make it more
> widely visible (notice that we have it as the language
> of the month!)

On a related note, the Mlton port of my ray tracer is substantially faster
than all other entries (that's gcc, icc, g++, icpp, gcj, j2se, g95, ifc,
smlnj, ocamlc and ocamlopt) and is probably the second most concise
implementation (after OCaml) to boot.

> However, isn't SML/NJ the 'standard' that other SML's
> try to comply with?  Do you think people would expect
> to see SML/NJ as 'the' SML implementation in a short
> list of representative languages?

I think Cambridge is a bit of an "SML town" and most of the people round here
thought that SML/NJ was no longer being developed. Everyone I speak to
recommends Mlton as "the" SML compiler.

> Let's set aside the number of solutions for the
> moment.  If SML/NJ and MLton had the same number
> of solutions on the site, would you still think
> MLton would be more representative of SML than SML/NJ?

Yes, I would.

> Do other people think we should use 'The Usual' to
> show
> the best performers for all languages, or would it
> be better to show the 'best known' implementations
> for various languages?
>
> I'm sort of leaning towards the former (which would
> mean moving MLton to 'The Usual' instead of SML/NJ).
>
> Are there any contrary views?

I'd like to see the best known languages and implementations in "The Usual"
but I'm calling Mlton the best known SML implementation.

Objective CAML for Scientists