[Shootout-list] request to put MLton on "The Usual" page

Bengt Kleberg bengt.kleberg@ericsson.com
Wed, 08 Jun 2005 10:17:37 +0200

On 2005-06-08 08:56, John Skaller wrote:
...deleted
> respects. So by 'merit' I would really mean that the Shootout
> ought to show the strong and weak points of each system,
> for surely none are yet best at everything :)

i agree. artificial limits to disallow strong points or hide weak points
should be removed.

...deleted
> from a common homepage. If you Google for the shootout and
> end up in the 'Usual' website you will have a hard time
> even knowing that the 'Greater' web
> site also exists -- knowing it exists AND that the link
> was somewhere in the misnamed 'FAQ' it still took me a lot
> of time and effort to actually locate the link.

the link is now (not very prominently) on the first page.

...deleted
> As far as I can see the split is nothing more than a way
> to 'get rid' of languages the admins of the Shootout
> aren't interested in without totally pissing off
> those people interested in slightly less than popular
> languages that they haven't chosen.

could be right. without any documented reason it is difficult to discuss
  the objectivity of the split.

>>From my point of view you might as well just get rid of
> the Greater site completely -- the only people that will
> look at it are contributors of tests for the minor
> languages (because they happen to know the site exists).

one way of handling the selection process would be to have a neutral
wellcome page without detailed information. from that it could be
possible to select the set of languages and tests that are of interest.
if there was a description of ''how and why'' there could even be
pre-selected sets.

bengt