[Shootout-list] Ray tracer

Jon Harrop jon@ffconsultancy.com
Fri, 17 Jun 2005 17:11:17 +0100

On Friday 17 June 2005 16:51, Isaac Gouy wrote:
> > Out of interest, I added the shortest of all my implementations as
> > well - 57 LOC of OCaml (OCaml #2).
>
> Doug Bagley had the optimistic notion that everyone would honour this:
>
> 4. Write the program as-if lines of code were not being measured.
> http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/sandbox/faq.php?sort=fullcpu#implementlis

Yes, all of my implementations satisfy this, IMHO. The difference between the
57- and 73-line programs is simply that the latter is optimised. I appreciate
that the shootout is for optimised programs but I think that a very short
(and yet surprisingly efficient!) implementation will be helpful to anyone
trying to implement this benchmark in their own favourite language.

Arguably the short version should be in the task description, but then you
couldn't see its relative performance.

> > I put the standard comment header at the top of each program. Are
> > these ok regarding licensing?
>
> As long as you are the real author of the programs - but if the
> programs were authored by someone else and shown on a discussion forum
> then they should contribute them to the shootout.

I wrote them all. I'd like to work on Fortran next, so I'll be seeking Simon's
blessing. :-)

PS: How do I make the IFC version run as a G95 version as well?
Objective CAML for Scientists