[Shootout-list] Ray tracer

Jon Harrop jon@ffconsultancy.com
Sat, 18 Jun 2005 18:39:48 +0100

On Saturday 18 June 2005 18:13, Isaac Gouy wrote:
> You made a case for a particular ray-tracer algorithm,

No, I didn't. I've been advocating algorithm-independent tests for months now.

> and provided implementations of that same algorithm in several languages.

No, I didn't. I provided implementations of several algorithms in several
different languages weeks ago. Having asked for them, you ignored them.

> We worked to iron-out some initial problems and check a wider range of
> languages - and ray-tracer was published on the main pages. So other
> people started to contribute programs.

As long as they get the answer correct there is nothing wrong with them. I'm
sure my own submissions can and will be improved upon. I'm not going to whine
and claim that I wasted my time when someone does.

> Now you've unilaterally decided ray-tracer should be different,

No, I haven't. The correct answer has not changed since "ray-tracer" was first
created.

> and seem deaf to Brent's objections.

Don't project your own objections onto Brent.

So how many valid submissions from other people have been ignored?

Objective CAML for Scientists