[Shootout-list] Ray tracer

John Skaller skaller@users.sourceforge.net
Thu, 23 Jun 2005 02:37:12 +1000

On Wed, 2005-06-22 at 07:54 -0700, Isaac Gouy wrote:
> --- John Skaller <skaller@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> > > Why do you need CVS write access?
> >
> > In order to contribute to the Shootout software.
>
> What prevents you attaching code to a feature request or bug report?

That is entirely impractical, unless it is a separable
component.

In addition, it requires someone to act on it.

With CVS both these problems go away. The main problem is
if I accidentally change something and disrupt something
else, in which case action is required to undo the change.
CVS has good tools to handle this, for example for anything
significant I'd expect to work on a branch: this would make
it easy for the admins, and others, to checkout that branch
for testing and inspection .. and merge it into the trunk
at their discretion.

I guess you can read up on CVS if you need to know
more about how it handles collaborative development:
I am certainly no expert on it.

--
John Skaller <skaller at users dot sourceforge dot net>
Download Felix: http://felix.sf.net