[Shootout-list] MLton missing

Brent Fulgham bfulg@pacbell.net
Tue, 15 Mar 2005 14:08:00 -0800 (PST)

--- Chris Clearwater <chris@detriment.org> wrote:
> Isaac Gouy wrote:
>
> >>It appears MLton is not a part of the shootout
> >>anymore. A bug I presume?
> >>

>http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/great/benchmark.php?test=all&lang=mlton&sort=fullcpu
> >
> Why are only some languages on the main page?

This is becoming a FAQ.

The goal of the various "filters" presented to the
user
in good In'n'Out Burger fashion is to provide a useful
view of the data to different types of users.

The view I use most is the 'Sandbox', which shows
all languages and all benchmarks (no matter how few
solutions are provided).

Most users probably want to use the 'Great' view,
which
has the most successful entries, and all of the
non-experimental benchmarks.

The 'Usual' page has a representative language of
each language paradigm (lisps, C's, Java's, etc.)  We
do show more than one language where I have a
commercial compiler (e.g., Sun's Java or Intel C)
and a Free compiler (GNU), since I think this is
important to know).  It doesn't attempt to show all
languages, just a handful so a user can get a feel
for how a Lisp compares to a Scheme to a Fortran to
etc.

So, 'Usual' gives a rough idea of how various classes
of languages behave, while the 'Great' gives you the
real view for individual language implementations.

-Brent