[Shootout-list] MLton missing

Chris Clearwater chris@detriment.org
Tue, 15 Mar 2005 15:09:25 -0800

Isaac Gouy wrote:

>There isn't a "main page" - there's a menu with 4 website offerings.

I say main page as it is the default view when you visit
http://shootout.alioth.debian.org.

>Those who wish to investigate a "great" number of implementations
>should find what they need on "The Great".
>
>Some folk have heard about Doug Bagley's project but not seen it, so we
>have "The Doug Bagley"
>
>We like to have a place to make some mistakes in a slightly less public
>way, so there's "The Sandbox"
>
>And for those who prefer to deal with just the usual culprits, we have
>"The Usual".
>
>Sounds like you should bookmark "The Great"

The shootout is a great marketing tool. This can be evidenced by the
many people who have learned of O'Caml through Bagley's original
shootout.  Considering the default view of the website, it is a great
advantage for a language to make "The Usual" view. As an example, why is
SML/NJ in that group and not MLton?  If you take into account the fact
that MLton scores as one of the highest implementations in the shootout,
it makes a much better case for the performance possible using SML. I
understand the distinction between the other categories, but, it seems
to me that "The Usual" is too ill-defined. Maybe you could implement a
category where only implementations implementing a certain percentage of
the tests will be entered. At the very least it seems only fair to have
"The Great" be made the default category.