[Shootout-list] MLton missing - a great marketing tool

Isaac Gouy igouy2@yahoo.com
Thu, 24 Mar 2005 08:39:02 -0800 (PST)

> At the very least it seems only fair to have
> "The Great" be made the default category.

Fair to whom?
We're trying to be fair to someone coming across the website for the
first time, as-well-as language geeks.

There are currently 26 language implementations on 'The Usual' (plus
This Month's Featured Language). That's maybe 3 times more than
'ordinary' programmers deal with each week.

(I don't recall, did Doug Bagley's original website show more than 27
language implementations?)

Search is King! If you want 'The Great' to be 'the default category'
then spend some time searching for websites that link to Shootout, and
email the webmasters asking that they update the URL to
   http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/great/

> I understand the distinction between the other categories, but, it
> seems to me that "The Usual" is too ill-defined. Maybe you could
> implement a category where only implementations implementing a
certain
> percentage of the tests will be entered.

We already have - languages that don't implement enough tests should
only appear in 'The Sandbox'. (We aren't enforcing that at-the-moment
because we just rewrote a lot of tests.)

> The shootout is a great marketing tool. This can be evidenced by the
> many people who have learned of O'Caml through Bagley's original
> shootout.

Are we being too subtle with "This Month's Featured Language"?

(D got that promotion because D has working implementations for all the
latest benchmarks. MLton is missing 12 of the new benchmarks.)

best wishes, Isaac