[Shootout-list] MLton missing - a great marketing tool

Chris Clearwater chris@detriment.org
Thu, 24 Mar 2005 12:54:32 -0800

>Fair to whom?
>We're trying to be fair to someone coming across the website for the
>first time, as-well-as language geeks.

What do you consider the average usage pattern of the shootout to be? Do
you feel that having more implementations would scare someone away from
the site? I think it would lend to the site's credibility. It would
highlight that it is a large community effort, not just a bunch of
random tests.

>There are currently 26 language implementations on 'The Usual' (plus
>This Month's Featured Language). That's maybe 3 times more than
>'ordinary' programmers deal with each week.
>
>(I don't recall, did Doug Bagley's original website show more than 27
>language implementations?)

That is one way of looking at it. Another way to look at it is that it
featured all the languages :-)

>Search is King! If you want 'The Great' to be 'the default category'
>then spend some time searching for websites that link to Shootout, and
>email the webmasters asking that they update the URL to
>   http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/great/

Excellent point.

>We already have - languages that don't implement enough tests should
>only appear in 'The Sandbox'. (We aren't enforcing that at-the-moment
>because we just rewrote a lot of tests.)

I guess I still don't understand exactly what the criterion for "The
usual" category is. If it is popularity, perhaps you could use Debian's
popularity-contest data (http://popcon.debian.org/) to determine the
"The usual" entries?