[Shootout-list] Ray tracer (set of tests)

Bengt Kleberg bengt.kleberg@ericsson.com
Sun, 01 May 2005 12:58:04 +0200

Isaac Gouy wrote:
> --- Robert Seeger <rhseeger@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>It's not so much "solving a problem" as it is "making the collection
>>of tests more useful". If you look through some of the past
>>discussions, you'll see it mentioned that having a wide variety of
>>tests is a good thing.
>

> Someone might have asserted it was a good thing - I don't recall seeing
> anything to back up the opinion.
>
> (And we're begging the question "making the collection of tests more
> useful" for what purpose?)

see
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/shootout-list/2005-April/001718.html
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/shootout-list/2005-April/001710.html

for attempts to back up the opinion and stating a purpose.

...deleted

> If you were the person who created the groupings then it's easier to
> focus on ... Otherwise you have to learn and remember someone else's
> idea of what group to hide the benchmark in.

it owuld indeed be difficult to have a list of set/group ''a'', ''b'',
especially if they where created by one person, that did not document
what they contain, nor how these contents where arrived at.

but the groupings could have a descriptive heading, a content list and
an explanation as to what goes into them.
that would eliminate the reason to memorise the contents, and also avoid
the hiding effect.

bengt