[Shootout-list] Directions of various benchmarks

Brent Fulgham bfulg@pacbell.net
Tue, 17 May 2005 16:02:24 -0700 (PDT)

--- skaller <skaller@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> > > How interesting is it to compare Perl/PCRE with
> > > C/PCRE with Python/PCRE with Ocaml/PCRE .. is it
> > > interesting to compare PCRE with PCRE??

On the surface, it seems like a tautology -- but
what *I* find interesting is that even though these
tests are supposedly PCRE to PCRE to PCRE, they
do not have the same score.  That gives us some
useful information right there.

> > Why does the OCaml implementation of regex current
> > use Markus' PCRE rather than OCaml's built-in Str
> > module?

Probably because Markus sent the implementation in
and either (1) wanted to use his PCRE version, or
(2) the Str module did not have the functionality at
the time (this was a few years ago).

-Brent