[Shootout-list] Directions of various benchmarks

Isaac Gouy igouy2@yahoo.com
Wed, 18 May 2005 09:43:33 -0700 (PDT)

--- skaller <skaller@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
-snip-
> Yes but the 'performance' measurements are just as difficult.
> On the old shootout I see Felix beating Java on every test --
> as it dang well should, Java is a dog <hehe> -- and suddenly on the
> new Shootout Java is beating the Ocaml native code compiler???

Java beats OCaml native on just one benchmark - takfp.
http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/great/benchmark.php?test=all&lang=ocaml&lang2=java&sort=fullcpu

> Come on! I did some tests and find Felix comfortable trashes
> gcc on some tests, but gcc with a couple of optimisation switches
> trashes Felix .. what are we *really* measuring?

Programming language implementations
http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/great/faq.php?sort=fullcpu#learn

Maybe gcc has better code optimisation than felix.