[Shootout-list] Skaller plot

Jon Harrop jon@ffconsultancy.com
Wed, 18 May 2005 18:52:02 +0100

I've taken the liberty of analysing the CSV data from the site (dated about 9
months ago?) like this:

  http://www.ffconsultancy.com/shootout/

The only alteration I made to the data was to change the LOC for gcc
spellcheck from 178 to 41 (the same as icc). Perhaps it should be the other
way around. I'd like to analyse data which includes brace-only lines for
C-derived languages.

Interesting results are:

1. On the tests implemented for IFC, GCC is considerably better (shorter and
faster programs) than IFC.

2. OCaml and D come out top (shortest, fastest programs).

3. OCaml native code is slightly more concise but slightly slower than D.

4. OCaml byte code runs at the same speed as Java and C# but requires
substantially less code on average.

5. OCaml native code is much better than both Java and C# in terms of both
speed and brevity. However, this is likely to be due to the overhead of the
Java and C# run-times, giving them artificially bad performance on short-run
tests like most of the current shootout benchmarks.

Objective CAML for Scientists