[Shootout-list] Skaller plot

Jon Harrop jon@ffconsultancy.com
Thu, 19 May 2005 01:15:13 +0100

On Thursday 19 May 2005 00:34, Brent Fulgham wrote:
> --- Jon Harrop <jon@ffconsultancy.com> wrote:
> > I've taken the liberty of analysing the CSV data
> > from the site (dated about 9 months ago?) like
> > this:
> >
> >   http://www.ffconsultancy.com/shootout/
>
> This is really cool!  One nit -- I'm color blind
> and so I'm never sure if I'm missing something
> on graphs.  I don't see any data points; I only
> see the labels (gforth, gcc, etc.)  Are my
> faulty receptors showing everything that's there?

Yep, it's black and white. :-)

I just centred the label for each language on its coordinate.

> The data is probably as current as the day you
> downloaded it.  I put the date in the file as
> a placeholder, but never implemented the code to
> update it to the current run.
>
> Now that someone's actually looked at the data,
> I guess I should get that fixed!  :-)

I'm less worried by the date and more worried by the negative running times
(time outs?) and 210 zero-LOC counts for Curry, Elastic, XEmacs, MZScheme,
MZC and GCL.

Once the current bugs (e.g. the timeouts on nbody) are corrected, the results
should be a more meaningful. I'll redo them, of course.

For example, OCaml completes n-body for N=10^6 in about 2s and N=10^7 in about
20s here, but is shown as a timeout when other languages are allowed to take
up to 120s.

Objective CAML for Scientists