[Simple-cdd-devel] Still the best option for creating custom CDs?

Vagrant Cascadian vagrant at freegeek.org
Mon Dec 27 20:50:51 UTC 2010

On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 12:06:42PM -0800, Bruce Edge wrote:
> Is simple-cdd still the best option for creating custom debian/ubuntu iso
> images?

easy-build.sh in debian-cd might work for some people.

never tested simple-cdd on ubuntu images, and have heard of pretty significant
problems from those who have tried.

> By custom, I mean, adding additional home-grown packages, custom partition
> laypout, preseed config entries and postinstall script.

the home-grown packages is where most people tend to have lots of problems.
simple-cdd had crude support for packages from outside of Debian proper. If
custom packages are fully Debian policy compliant, that increases the odds of
it working ok.

> I ask because I've seen zero traffic on this list since joining a week ago.

it's not a particularly high-traffic list.

simple-cdd also hasn't seen much activity in general, partially because it
works reasonably well at what it does, but it hasn't seen much feature
development, improvements or code cleanup.

patches are of course much appreciated, though not very likely to make it into
squeeze at the moment due to the hard freeze.

> Is there a simple-cdd-users list for these type of inquiries or is the -devel
> list the only one?

this is the only related list i know of.

live well,
  vagrant