[Simple-cdd-devel] Still the best option for creating custom CDs?

Antoine Hue antoine.hue at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 20:09:48 UTC 2010

2010/12/27 Bruce Edge <bruce.edge at gmail.com>

> Hi,
> Is simple-cdd still the best option for creating custom debian/ubuntu iso
> images?
> By custom, I mean, adding additional home-grown packages, custom partition
> laypout, preseed config entries and postinstall script.
>
> I ask because I've seen zero traffic on this list since joining a week ago.
>
> Is there a simple-cdd-users list for these type of inquiries or is the
> -devel list the only one?

Hello,

I have been using Simple-cdd to produce a small Debian Squeeze install on an
USB key. I use extlinux to boot up ISO install image.
I have been able to add custom packages without much trouble.

My first tentative was to use Debian Live since it seemed better documented
and more complete but it was bug concerning install from USB medium.
Eventually, Simple-cdd does the job, is quite configurable and is much
faster to create an image.

Only issues I had were related to cache:
- got some strange messages once after an update of Squeeze
- local packages are cached, which is not always fine if debugging a package

In both cases, I have erased tmp/ folder to remove cache and I eventually
installed an Approx based cache.

Other point that might get improved is better documentation of available
configuration variables.

Thanks a lot to Simple-cdd and its developers !

Antoine