[Simple-cdd-devel] preseed change default desktop

Vagrant Cascadian vagrant at freegeek.org
Fri Nov 23 20:43:34 UTC 2012

On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 10:17:11AM +0100, Massimo Barbieri wrote:
> Is it possible to change with preseed the default desktop environment
> from Gnome to LXDE leaving the possibility to the user to install Gnome
> by going to Advanced option > Alternative Desktop Environment?
>
> I have tried with:
>
>   tasksel tasksel/initial multiselect standard desktop
>   tasksel tasksel/desktop multiselect lxde
>
> But I can only have LXDE...

You might try adding to profiles/default.conf or profiels/lxde.conf:

export KERNEL_PARAMS="$KERNEL_PARAMS desktop=lxde"

But I don't know that that will create a GNOME menu in the installer, and it
may override the desktop parameter in all the various menus...

Another approach would be to create several desktop profiles, and include a
different preseed for each:

in profiles/lxde.preseed:

  tasksel tasksel/desktop multiselect lxde

and profiles/gnome.preseed:

  tasksel tasksel/desktop multiselect gnome

(presuming gnome is the right value for this)

Note that your install medium will need to have all the appropriate packages
already present, either on the media, or have network mirrors available.

This won't change the initial boot menu, but simple-cdd will ask which profiles
you want to install and load the appropriate preseeding for each.

There may be other options to explore, but those are the two that come to mind
without experimenting myself.

Good luck!

live well,
  vagrant