[Simple-cdd-devel] Modules and packaging

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Wed Feb 18 13:57:30 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 02:40:39PM -0800, Vagrant Cascadian wrote:

> So, one thing remains, which is kind of minor, but the python module
> name is "simplecdd" and the package name is "python3-simplecdd", but the
> package has been called "simple-cdd" for ages, and it would be nice, if
> there aren't some technical limitations, to consistantly use
> "simple-cdd".

The python policy says[1] that the package name must be
python3-$modulename where $modulename is whatever is passed to import to
use the module.

Unfortunately we cannot call the module simple-cdd because the dash
isn't accepted in a module name: foo-bar is an algebraic expression for
python.

Alternatively, we can call the module simple_cdd, then the package name
would be python3-simple-cdd. How does that sound?

Enrico

[1] https://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/python-policy/ch-module_packages.html#s-package_names
--
GPG key: 4096R/E7AD5568 2009-05-08 Enrico Zini <enrico at enricozini.org>