[slbackup-users] Great Project!

Mark Bucciarelli mark@hubcapconsulting.com
Tue, 11 Nov 2003 09:07:58 -0500

Greetings all.

I saw Dave Kelley's posting and then Morten Olsen's followup on the
rdiff-backup list.  A Webmin module for rdiff-backup would be a _very_ useful
tool.  I'm sorry that I don't have time to contribute to this project right
now, but perhaps I will in a month or two.

I'd like to voice some support for some of the goals mentioned, and check to
make sure they are compatible with this project.

Namely, I like:
(1) not requiring rdiff-backup on the source machine
(2) not requiring a ssh daemon on the source machine

My target application is a company that is introducing Linux, and will keep
lots of windows boxes (for the time being).  Pop a Linux box in the LAN, with
this Webmin rdiff-backup module.  Click a button in webmin to scans the
network looking for SAMBA shares, and auto-populate the config file.  When
backup time comes, it mounts the remote shares and runs rdiff-backup.

Is this a direction you all are interested in?  It's quite different than the
approach in the existing perl cron script in CVS.

Regards,

--
Mark Bucciarelli, www.hubcapconsulting.com
  As we enjoy great advantages from inventions of others, we should