[slbackup-users] Great Project!

Morten Werner Olsen werner@skolelinux.no
Fri, 14 Nov 2003 10:04:20 +0100

On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 09:07:58AM -0500, Mark Bucciarelli wrote:

> I'd like to voice some support for some of the goals mentioned, and
> check to make sure they are compatible with this project.
>
> Namely, I like:
> (1) not requiring rdiff-backup on the source machine
> (2) not requiring a ssh daemon on the source machine
>
> My target application is a company that is introducing Linux, and
> will keep lots of windows boxes (for the time being).  Pop a Linux
> box in the LAN, with this Webmin rdiff-backup module.  Click a
> button in webmin to scans the network looking for SAMBA shares, and
> auto-populate the config file.  When backup time comes, it mounts
> the remote shares and runs rdiff-backup.
>
> Is this a direction you all are interested in?  It's quite different
> than the approach in the existing perl cron script in CVS.

My target, as making this for Skolelinux [1], does not include any
windows-clients, but if you (or someone else) can make this as
addition to what slbackup does now, I would guess that would be
welcome.

Skolelinux mainly consist of one file server, one or more
LTSP-servers, and in the future I think it will have other servers for
other services now provided by the file server. So what slbackup is
designed for, is to backup user-files on the file server and
configuration files on the other servers. And I think that a solution
that uses SSH would be better than NFS or Samba mounts, especially if
the backup server is located on another network than the rest of the
clients.

Comments?

[1] http://www.skolelinux.no/
--