[Splashy-devel] /proc/cmdline

Otavio Salvador otavio at debian.org
Mon Aug 21 13:06:28 UTC 2006

Tim Dijkstra <newsuser at famdijkstra.org> writes:

>> I think that default should be do nothing extra so makes more sense to
>> include a param to enable it. e.g. splash
>
> If everybody thinks otherwise, I'm not going to making a fuss about it,
> but I disagree. If somebody installs splashy, she wants it to work. Why
> would she have to do another step? If for some reason splashy breaks
> booting, then one can still add nosplash (or single) to the cmdline from
> within lilo or grub to disable splashy.

Usually when you install something you need to do a step to enable
it. See: fetchmail, spamassassin and a lot of other packages.

What's done is when you're installing a desktop machine you can change
the installed to include the need param there. That'll enable it.

> I think 'nosplash' instead of splash gives the best user experience:
> just 'aptitude install splashy', and be done with it...

I see your point but looks safe to me to "force" user intervation by
default.

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 GNU/Linux User: 239058     GPG ID: 49A5F855