[Splashy-devel] /proc/cmdline

Pat Suwalski pats at xandros.com
Tue Aug 22 16:16:34 UTC 2006

Otavio Salvador wrote:
>> Moreover (I was going to bring this up at the next meeting), zero new
>> products from nVidia support vesafb, half from ATI do, Intel will be
>> dropping vesa support in the next year. So, from the point of view of
>> a distribution, there needs to be VGA-only solution.
>
> Uh! I didn't know about it. So it's a NEED!

Yeah, it feels like a step backward, unfortunately. But hey, if we can
somehow come up with some really cool palette rotation or something in
splashy, it could still be really cool.

>> If I'm not mistaken, the problem is that directfb does not work on
>> vga16fb, right?
>
> I think that's easy to deal building an interface between splashy and
> the "drawing engine". That way we can build splashy using dfb as
> backend, bogl or anything else with minimal effort.

Well, then I believe that it might be prudent to look at how Ubuntu's
splash works. I think Matthew Garrett was saying that they use some
other framebuffer library to draw stuff. It might be interesting to see
how hard it would be to "port" to another graphics library. As a first
test, might even be possible to write a cairo backend (would be neat for
testing, etc). I'm willing to help out with the vesa16 backend.

--Pat